Working standing up comes with many benefits but a standing desk can be pricey. Sit to stand desk converters are easy and affordable alternatives to sit to standing desks.
Standing desks are becoming more popular in offices and homes. They have a lot of advantages and are useful to someone who spends a lot of time behind a desk.
You might want a sit to stand desk converter if:
- Suffer with back or neck pain
- Get drowsy at work
- Lack motivation
What’s the difference between a sit to stand desk converter and a standing desk?
A sit to stand desk converter is a device you put on your desk to add height. Instead of adjusting the entire desk height. It has two platforms; the lower platform is for your mouse and keyboard and the upper platform is for your laptop or monitor screen.
Sit to stand desk converters raise your monitor, keyboard and mouse. Whereas the entire desk moves up and down with standing desks. Standing desks offer a larger adjustable work surface but they cost more and take up more space. There are two types of standing desks, but the most used ones are manual and electric.
There are two types of manual standing desks, a crank, or a brake.
Crank- Crank- adjustable desks have a handle at the front or the back of the desk, to adjust you ‘crank’ the handle to move up or down
Brakes- To adjust the desk squeeze the brake handles and slide up or down. Release the brakes to lock the desk in place.
For more information on standing desks and advice on choosing one, take a look at our blog post: https://posturepeople.co.uk/how-to-choose-a-standing-desk/
Electric desks are plugged into an outlet and are controlled by arrow buttons. To move the desk just use the up and down arrow keys to get the desk to the correct height.
For more information on standing desks, look at our blog post: https://posturepeople.co.uk/how-to-choose-a-standing-desk/
Advantages of a sit to stand desk converter
- Affordability– Sit to stand desk converters are cheaper because you don’t have to buy a new desk. it saves you the hassle of getting rid of your old desk and saves you some money.
- Easier to assemble– Sit to stand desk converters are much easier and quicker to assemble.
- Saves space- They use up less space than a standing desk. You can get sit to stand desks converters that can be placed into corners of the room
Working standing up offers so many health benefits that can change your life in the office and outside the office. In recent research, it was found that sit to stand desk workstations in an office environment led to lower levels of discomfort, and productivity levels were found to be higher.
- Reduced discomfort- Sitting in an office chair for prolonged periods of time can cause back pain and discomfort due to incorrect ergonomics and poor posture. Standing whilst working helps to reduce neck and back pain.
- Productivity boost- Getting up and moving about has been proven to help productivity and mood, working standing up has helped many office workers feel more productive and happier throughout the day.
- Weight loss- It’s easier to gain weight sitting down all day but if you’re standing up your body is constantly burning calories, it might not burn a lot but working standing up does help to lose weight.
- Improved energy levels- Drowsiness and low energy levels are common symptoms of working on a computer and sitting down all day. Working standing up can help to combat drowsiness and keep your energy levels higher.
For more information on the benefits of standing and the negative effects of sitting down, have a listen to this podcast by Michael Mosley on BBC sounds. He goes into the science behind standing and up how it can have a positive impact on our health.
Sit to stand desk converters
Eiger Pro Wooden Standing Desk
The Eiger Pro Standing Desk is a stylish wooden sit to stand desk converter. It’s made up of two adjustable wooden platforms so you’re easily able to find the perfect height to work from. Your laptop is placed on the top shelf, your keyboard and mouse on the lower shelf.
- Easy to store, just fold flat and put away
- Multi adjustable settings
- Made from Baltic Birch Plywood
Wooden Standing Desk – Eiger Pro£284.40 (incl VAT)
Here at Posture People, we are big fans of the Ergotron WorkFit range. They offer excellent quality sit to stand desk rises which we’ve tried and tested and love.
Some of the WorkFit products come with the option of a monitor arm. Read our review on Ergotron monitor arms
Ergotron WorkFit-Z Mini
The Ergotron WorkFit-Z Mini is a compact sit to stand desk converter that comes in a grey woodgrain finish. It features an indent tray to support tablets or phones. No assembling needed it comes assembled and ready to use straight away.
- Home offices
- The smallest sit to stand desk in the WorkFit range
Ergotron WorkFit-Z Mini£372.00 (incl VAT)
WorkFit® Corner Standing Desk Converter
The WorkFit Corner Standing Desk Converter can be used in the corner of your office. It fits a large monitor or dual monitor screens, and it comes with a large keyboard tray. A sturdy metal design that comes in black. Ready to use straight of the box.
- Converting unused corners in your office and turning them into a workspace
- Can be used with a monitor mount kit
WorkFit® Corner Standing Desk Converter£539.29 (incl VAT)
Ergotron WorkFit SR
The Ergotron WorkFit SR attaches to the back of your existing desktop and can be slid up and down to suit standing up or sitting down.
- Available with either a single or dual monitor fixing kit
- 58cm of height adjustment
- Recommended for tall users
- Requires assembly
Ergotron WorkFit SR£864.00 (incl VAT)
The Ergotron WorkFit-TL has a large work surface suitable for two screens but it’s recommended you use a dual-screen mounting kit for stability.
- Quiet and smooth adjustments using hand break leavers
- Sturdy metal structure
- Comes in white or black
- Large keyboard tray
Ergotron WorkFit-TL£546.00 (incl VAT)
The Ergotron WorkFit-T has a medium-size work surface and keyboard tray, ideal for a single monitor screen, comes with an optional monitor fixing kit.
- 38cm of lift
- Sturdy structure to prevent tilting and wobbling.
Ergotron WorkFit-T£498.00 (incl VAT)
If you would like advice on choosing a sit to stand desk, please call us on 0330 332 0880 or email firstname.lastname@example.org